When you are beginning a weight loss journey, you can’t begin with questions like, “Do I have to?!” If that is your mentality… that is a problem! YES, you have to exercise to reach your goals, and YES, you need to watch what you eat to drop a couple of pant sizes!
There is no such thing as a ‘magic pill’ to make the excess weight fall off. It isn’t an overnight experience, and it is not as easy as adding one piece of fruit to your diet - but that is a start! Weight loss takes hard work and patience, but it can still be a fun process.
Here are some ways that you can make it a positive experience:
- Be Realistic. What is your goal? How many pounds do you think you can lose in a week? Ten? Twenty? Come on, it’s time to be serious. Your goal must be realistic and achievable if you are going to do this right. Many do not realize that one to two pounds a week is the healthiest, most realistic goal. Take your time during this journey, enjoy it, and keep in mind that this will take time and commitment. Setting a goal that is too high can be discouraging. Be real with yourself so that you can confidently and successfully push yourself through.
- Make a Mantra. Create a mantra or affirmation that you can say to yourself during your exercises or when you feel like you may make a poor diet choice. It should be short and easy; “I am strong,” “I can do this,” “I will lose the weight.” Create a phrase that best suits your goals and your mindset. Recite it during your workouts, particularly when it gets hard or when you think you might quit. Say it whenever you need a reminder that you can do this!
- Find some Inspiration. There is nothing more inspiring than looking at pictures of your “goal body,” or seeing before and after shots of people who have accomplished what you are hoping to do. Grab some magazines or surf the web to find a photo of how you’d like to look – but remember to be realistic! Keep your body shape and type in mind, as well as your diet and exercise plans. Tape the photo to your bathroom mirror or keep it next to your pillow so it’s the last thing you see before you fall asleep. These pictures will serve as an inspiration to stick with it.
- Make Chores Fun. Chores can be boring if you consider them to be a dreaded task. Instead of looking at them as work, get creative and use them as an opportunity to MOVE! How? If you need to polish the floor, for example, skip the machine and do it manually. Get on all fours and use that elbow grease! Believe us when we tell you that you will feel your efforts in the morning. Your prize will be some nicely toned arms!
- Do More! When you go about your daily routine, add other ‘fun’ activities to increase your calories burned. During your work break, go for a walk around the block instead of to the kitchen for more coffee. Not only will you be getting some exercise but it will energize you more than another cup of caffeine! Do you work in a multi-level building? Ditch the elevator and take the stairs instead! The little changes make a huge difference.
Weight loss should not be a dreaded journey. It should be fun! The more you progress, the more exciting it will be. You want to get in shape and have some fun at the same time. Be creative while focusing on your goals.